In a recent study by Glassdoor, it was discovered that the average US employee only uses 51% of their allotted vacation time. With summer coming to an end, TripAdvisor put together a list of the top 10 Late Summer Vacation Destinations. Check these places out before the summer is officially over!
10. Key West, FL – This passenger cruise ship destination in south west Florida is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. It is also home to the Dry Tortugas National Park which has attractions ranging from snorkeling to camping, and includes food and drink options.
9. San Diego, CA – This southern California city is famous for its year around great weather. As the saying goes, the easiest job in the country is being a weatherman in San Diego. Some of its most popular attractions include the world-famous San Diego Zoo which pioneered the idea of open-air, safari style natural habitats.
8. San Francisco, CA – The city by the Bay is the cultural hub of northern California and the second most densely populated city in the country behind New York City. Whether taking in a Giants baseball game at the beautiful AT&T Park or having a picnic in Alamo Park, San Francisco has plenty of amenities to keep vacationers entertained.
7. Virginia Beach, VA – Located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, Virginia Beach has miles of beaches with hundreds of hotels and resorts to chose from. The city has plenty of late summer attractions including the East Coast Surfing Championships which takes place August 16 through August 23.
6. Orlando, FL – Nicknamed “The City Beautiful”, Orlando is home to some of the most elaborate and famous theme parks in the world. The city was the most visited in the country in 2009 with 48 million visitors taking in the sites and sounds of attractions like SeaWorld, Universal Resorts Orlando, the Walt Disney World Resort and the newly opened Orlando Eye.
5. Ocean City, MD – This ocean resort town on the far eastern side of Maryland’s panhandle receives about 8 million visitors annually. Attractions include its famous boardwalk and the Northside Park that features a crabbing dock for travelers wanting to catch some of the Maryland delicacy.
4. Destin, FL – Destin is known for its white sand beaches and emerald green water. This city in Florida’s Emerald Coast region is a leisure fisher’s dream destination. With an average August temperature of 91 degrees, Destin is a perfect late summer vacation destination.
3. New York City, NY – The Big Apple. The city that never sleeps. The city so nice they named it twice. New York has a lot of nicknames and a lot of things to experience for anyone adventurous enough to explore all that the city has to offer. Visitors can take in a Broadway show, spend an afternoon in Central Park or even get some sun at the beach at Coney Island.
2. Las Vegas, NV – Las Vegas is the city of sin. The internationally renowned resort destination is home to some of the most famous casinos in the world. Whether its catching a magic show from Penn and Teller or seeing Celine Dion at Caesar’s Palace, there’s plenty to do in Vegas.
1. Myrtle Beach, SC – Located at the center of South Carolina’s Grand Strand of coastal beaches, Myrtle Beach is TripAdvisor’s number one summer destination for 2014. The area is home to 100 golf courses and has been referred to as the “Golf Capital of the World”.
Where will you be spending your last days of summer?